WORKING WITH ORGANISATIONS & THEIR CONTEXTS - 2017/8
Module code: PSYM040
TIBBLES P Dr (Psychology)
Number of Credits
FHEQ Level 7
Module cap (Maximum number of students)
Overall student workload
|Assessment type||Unit of assessment||Weighting|
|Project (Group/Individual/Dissertation)||PROJECT OUTLINING A COACHING/MENTORING ROLE WITHIN AN ORGANISATION (3000 - 5000 WORDS)||100|
N/A A mark of 50% or above in each assessment is required to pass the module.
Prerequisites / Co-requisites
At least one of the following three: A practitioner psychologist (clinical, counselling, educational, occupational, health, forensic) eligible to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council. A qualified psychotherapist or counsellor (psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioural, systemic, integrative) eligible to be registered with the UKCP, BPC, BABCP, AFT or BACP. Qualification in a relevant profession with training in psychology at an undergraduate and/or postgraduate level (teaching, medicine, nursing, human resources, social work, occupational therapy). All candidates should be qualified professionals who have given supervision and consultation and who as part of their employment will be able to supervise and consult to others.
This module offers an overview of the major psychotherapeutic theories applied to organisational development, and coaching and mentoring practice in relation to organisational change. Executive coaching is designed to help facilitate professional and personal development, improved work performance and job satisfaction. Executive coaches work their clients towards specific professional goals. These include career transition, communication skills, performance management, organisational effectiveness, managing career and personal changes, enhancing strategic thinking, dealing effectively with conflict, and building an effective team within an organisation. The coursework project provides an opportunity to undertake coaching and/or mentoring work within an organisation, using a number of theoretical perspectives from planning through to, negotiation, intervention, evaluation and review.
This module can be purchased as an independent CPD module.
C - Cognitive/analytical
K - Subject knowledge
T - Transferable skills
P - Professional/Practical skills
1. General psychotherapeutic theories and theories of management as applied to executive coaching and organisational development, structure and process (e.g. the organisational life cycle; multi-disciplinary teams; communication and feedback processes).
2. The ‘Learning Organisation’ and theories of change (e.g. systemic theories of change, psychodynamic theories of organisational change, Kolb’s learning cycle adapted for team working, staff morale and well-being).
3. Specific models derived from psychotherapeutic approaches developed for executive coaching and mentoring.
4. Issues of power, abuse and control in organisational structures and practices.
5. Understanding and managing difference, diversity, organisational culture and ethos
6. Hierarchy, leadership and management styles.
5. Abuse of power and authority.
6. Working as a coach and mentor in organisations: Theoretical and practical considerations.
7. Positive approaches to coaching and mentoring.
8. Negotiating coaching and mentoring contracts and ending contracts.
Methods of Teaching / Learning
A combination of: lectures; experiential workshops; small group activities; simulations, audio-visual material. SurreyLearn will be used by students to access some of the material and to join a discussion group.
The summative assessment for this module consists of:
Project outlining a coaching/mentoring role within an organisation (3000-5000 words). Included in the appendices should be a negotiated contract with the client detailing the theories, intervention practice methods and evaluation procedures intended. Feedback and evaluation records should also be included in the appendices. A mark of 50% or more must be obtained on this assignment to pass the module.
Formative assessment and feedback
Project Proposal (1000-1500 words). This formative assignment does not carry a mark. Feedback only is given.
Reading list for WORKING WITH ORGANISATIONS & THEIR CONTEXTS : http://aspire.surrey.ac.uk/modules/psym040
Programmes this module appears in
|Supervision and Consultation: Psychotherapeutic and Organisational Approaches MSc||1||Core||A pass as determined by the relevant criteria is required to pass the module|
Please note that the information detailed within this record is accurate at the time of publishing and may be subject to change. This record contains information for the most up to date version of the programme / module for the 2017/8 academic year.